Wednesday, July 1, 2009

It's a Recession

A simple statement that has been repeated many a time over the past months. From local News casters to Presidents, these words have been the talk all over the United States and the World. Unlike what most would think, I will not speak to the current state of the economy. This was a statement made earlier today by one of my multitude of Offenders that made it to my Office.

Two weeks ago, during a drug class that our department conducts in house, I was asked to help with the drug tests. Two offenders were cut from the herd and told that it was their lucky night. They get the distinct honor of going with me into a small bathroom and urinating into a small plastic cup while I watch. One of the these offenders was on my caseload.

After two of the longest minutes of my life, this offender places a half full cup of urine down on the table. I conduct the drug test and find out that he has been smoking Marijuana very recently. Several minutes go by as we go back and forth as to exactly when the last time he used was. Eventually, he admits to using the night before. This only after I tell him that he will no longer be going to our free drug class, but to a rather expensive alternative. The longer he is untruthful with me the more expensive the alternative becomes.

Once he came clean (so to speak), I told him that he would be going to the cheaper alternative and he would be referred on his next report day. I pay him no attention as he storms out the door.

A few minutes later I walk out to my car and I hear my name called. Wonder of wonders it is my offender. I merely turn and face him. Once he caught up to me he asks how much the alternative drug class would cost. I inform him it would be around $200 for the entire series of classes, depending on how much Marijuana he uses while going to these classes. I hear a long drawn out sigh escape from him and he says, "It's a recession, man!" As if I had been living under a rock for the past several months. I cock my head, look him in the eye with an eye brow raised and ask how the state of the economy gives him permission to break the law. How should this also allow him to escape the consequences of his actions. He did not answer. Only turned and walked away.
Two weeks later he uttered these three words again as I was filling out the paper work to send him to the class. I continued with my task as he continued to state these words like a mantra. I assume in hopes that repetition would out weigh reason. I paid him no attention. I explain the date that he was show for his new orientation and how much money he had to have in order to attend. He told me that he would not be able to get that much money together in the time frame set.

I leaned back in my chair and looked down thoughtfully for a second. After a few seconds of thought I said, "You know, you're right. It is a recession." I looked up and saw how bright and hopeful his eyes got. "Due to the fact that it's a Global recession, you can explain to the Judge why you couldn't get $25 together in a week." It was his turn to look down in thought. "Here is your choice," I continued. "You can keep blaming the economy and go see a Judge, or, you can get your act together and go to a few drug classes. Who knows you may actually learn something." I held the paperwork out to him and he said nothing as he took it and walked out the door.

I do not know if he will actually learn anything in the area about how drugs are bad and why they should not be used. The only thing I do know, is that he learned that throwing current events around will not help him escape the consequences of his actions. If he did not learn it that day then he shortly will. I set my watch and warrant on it.


Semper Fi Deus


Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment